This site uses cookies.

The types of cookies we use, and the way we use them, are explained in our Privacy Policy. By clicking "Accept" or continuing to use our site, you agree to our use of Cookies. More information

Kathleen White
Sales Representative



direct:416-458-6088
Visit  blog
Visit me on LinkedIn
Visit me on Facebook
Follow me on Twitter
print version

Lorne Park is a family friendly mature neighbourhood located in the south end of Mississauga. The area spans from the Credit River west to Southdown Road and from the QEW south to Lakeshore. Additional features of this neighbourhood are large trees, oversized lots, a variety of homes ranging in price from the low $400's to $4 and $5 million. Schools in the area have good quality reputations and in particular Lorne Park Secondary is known for it's extremely high achievement in athletics. This community has the benefit of nearby Port Credit Village with its shops, restaurants, pubs and lakefront as well as Clarkson Village and Rattray Marsh conservation area. Lorne Park remains as one of the most desired neighbourhoods in Mississauga. If you are considering selling or buying a home in Lorne Park please contact:

Kathleen White@KathleenWhiteHomes.com

History

The city of Mississauga, where Lorne Park is now located, was once known as Toronto Township, and comprised several towns and villages. The first settlements began around 1800 and developed around factories, harbours, or other local businesses. The larger of these rural communities were Clarkson, Cooksville, Erindale, Meadowdale, Malton, Port Credit and Streetsville.

Many smaller villages also sprung up near the larger towns. These include Barberton, Britannia, Burnhamthorpe, Derry West,Elmbank, Frogmore, Hanlan, Harris’ Corners, Hawkins’ Corners, Lisgar, Lorne Park, Mount Charles, Palestine, Pucky’s Huddle, Sheridan and Summerville.[1] The villages prospered until the arrival of the railroads in the late 19th century. The rise of the Industrial age prompted rapid urban growth and a steady economic and population decline in many rural Ontario communities. By 1915 most of the villages, now referred to as the “lost villages” of Mississauga, disappeared. Except for a few cemeteries, little is left to record their existence.

Lorne Park shares a common history with Clarkson. Before the arrival of the Europeans, all the land in Toronto Township belonged to the Mississauga Indians. The first white settler in the Clarkson-Lorne Park area was Thomas Ingersoll, who established the Government Inn and trading post on the Credit River in 1798.[2]

On August 2, 1805, the Mississauga Indians sold the British Government the Mississauga Tract, which ran from the Etobicoke Creek to Burlington Bay. The 28,645 ha (70,780 acres) area included 42 km (26.1 mi) of shoreline and extended 8 km (5.0 mi) inland. Out of this land deal Toronto Township was established and many small communities quickly developed. Clarkson and the area that would become Lorne Park were founded along the shores of Lake Ontario.

In 1820, a log road was built from the mouth of the Credit River to the Humber River, followed shortly by a bridge that enabled travelers going from York to Hamilton to pass through Clarkson and attracted more settlers. By the 1830 logging was a major industry in Lorne Park. Most of the pine wood was exported to England and the United States.

Over the early part of the 20th century Lorne Park grew into a unique community. In 1887, Joseph Thompson bought 35 ha (86 acres) of land in Lorne Park which became known as Thompson’s Wood, now called Jack Darling Park. Thompson’s brother Ernest Seton lived there until the home was lost in foreclosure. Ernest left, changed his name to Ernest Thompson Seton and achieved fame as an author and artist. The Lorne Park Post Office opened in 1892 and George D. Perry was the village’s first postmaster. James Alberton built the three-story Albertonia Hotel in 1899. In 1927, it was renamed the Lorne Park Lodge but burned down two years later in 1929.

The Lorne Park Mission Hall was built in 1902. It featured an open porch and a bell tower on the roof. The first library was organized by sawmill owner Robert Taylor in 1903. The first library meeting was held in January, 1904, in the Lorne Park Mission Hall. Reverend H. Thompson officiated over the first Anglican services in 1906, also held at the Lorne Park Mission Hall. St. Paul’s Anglican Church was built in 1914. The Lorne Park Baptist Church was founded Sunday, May 18, 1919, in the Lorne Park Mission, with Reverend J. Williamson presiding.

At some point a 30 ha (74 acres) "pleasure grounds," was operated in Lorne Park by the Toronto Park Association, included separate parlours for men and women, bowling lanes and merry-go-rounds. Travel to the resort from Toronto was often by steamer. After a series of bankruptcies, the resort lands were sold to cottagers. With access of theQEW highway, suburbanization of the original lands and surrounding area ensued in the post WWII period. (Brown, 1997 Toronto's Lost Villages)

For the next half century, Lorne Park remained a small burg, until 1968 when it, along with several other villages, was amalgamated to form the town of Mississauga. Six years later, Mississauga was incorporated and now is Canada’s 6th largest city. Even though Lorne Park was absorbed into Mississauga, it remained a distinct neighborhood that retains ties to its pioneer origins.

Lorne Park Estates

Lorne Park Estates is a 31 ha (77 acres) community, south of Lorne Park, located within the City of Mississauga. It is bordered by Lake Ontario on the south, Lakeshore Road on the north, Jack Darling Park on the west and Richard’s Memorial Park on the East. Lorne park, is the closest commercial service area for residents of Lorne Park Estates.

LPEA Homeowners are responsible for municipal taxes and upkeep of the LPEA lands, and are also co-operatively responsible for the maintenance, insurance and taxes on their 15 ha (37 acres) reserve; including their roads, forests, walking trails, a cottage, a private park and amenities area (the Commons) and their 0.8 km (0.5 mi) of private beaches with riparian rights.

There are only 2 roads into Lorne Park Estates and they are clearly marked as "private" as they are dually privately maintained and privately owned by the Lorne Park Estates Association. These private roads are for the exclusive use of only the residents within the estates, and their invited guests. These privately maintained roads in the community are narrow, uncurbed and with no sidewalks as this is the common preference of their exclusive community.

Lorne Park Estates was saved from being consumed by the greater general area and overdevelopment through the foresight of Mary Louise Clarke who deliberately preserved the park via her generous community land purchases between WW1 and on through the Great Depression. After her death, her estate passed the deeds for the lands to the homeowners the Lorne Park Estates Association in a transaction that is detailed in the book "A Village Within a City - a Story of Lorne Park Estates" (1980).

 

View more services  
adminlistingsprivacy policycontactsite map